Dr. Gary Carini
"The more you can read about strategy, the more you know. The more you know, the more you can tailor your strategy knowledge to your company. This is what great managers and high performing companies do."
- PhD Strategic Communication – University of Pennsylvania, 1991
- MA Applied Economics – University of Pennsylvania, 1988
- MPA Finance – University of Southern California, 1980
- BS Zoology – University of California, 1977
- Co-authored book that will be released in 2017
- Actively involved in qualitative research in healthcare, looking patterns of mood and emotion associated with different aspects of healthcare policy
- Active contributor to DMagazine Healthcare Daily - practical articles to managers and executives in the healthcare industry
- Provided executive education, consulting, and career coaching to Fortune 100 companies for the past 25 years
Which classes do you teach online?
Global Strategic Management.
When did you start teaching?
I started teaching as an Assistant Professor at Baylor University in 1991.
What do students learn in your classes? What is the expected outcome?
Students learn how important strategic management is to them and their companies. We focus on different aspects of strategy including competition, mergers and acquisitions, strategic alliances, organization structure, innovation and disruption, and leadership.
What's the best advice that you could give your students?
Read, read, read! The more you can read about strategy, the more you know. The more you know, the more you can tailor your strategy knowledge to your company. This is what great managers and high performing companies do.
What is the one book you think everyone should read?
Originals by Adam Grant.
What make someone particularly successful in strategic management?
Without exception, the most successful CEOs I know read several books a year. They are always learning and are humble enough to know they don't know everything.
What do you think is the biggest challenge that people in the profession face today?
How to incorporate technology, in new ways, into the strategy of the company.
Tell us something your students may not know about you:
Just over two years ago, I learned that it's possible to roast coffee at home. Since then, I am a home roaster, purchasing green (raw) coffee beans from all over the world.